Who Can Volunteer?
If you have an interest in the Mission and in California history, we invite you to join us.
All over 18 years old are welcome.
At the orientation interview, your interests will be matched to our programs.
Your volunteer time can be flexible, three hours a week, one day a month, etc. While a volunteer is expected to perform when agreed to, we realize that life's other demands may sometimes require your presence elsewhere.
- Museum - Docents & Greeters
- Historic Church
- Welcome Center
- Speical Events & Projects
- Administrative Support
Some of Our Programs
- Gardening: With 56 acres of property, there are numerous opportunities to assist with gardening,especially in our rose gardens. We have roses, succulents and vegetables that benefit from our volunteers' green thumbs. Training is provided.
- Museum: The Museum hosts many visitors from around the world. Volunteers greet our guests and provide brief introductions for self-guided tours. Guides receive additional training to conduct group tours and give presentations to students.
- Special Events: There are many special events which raise funds for the Mission and/or benefit the local community. Volunteers make these events possible. Opportunities include committee, pre-event and event day help.
- Welcome Center: The central information hub for the Mission is the Welcome Center. Volunteers inform guests about updoming events, sites on the Mission grounds and ongoing special projects.
As a National Historic Landmark, Mission San Luis Rey receives no public funding for general operations and is entirely dependent upon donations, gifts and fundraisers.